Gunmen who attacked a shopping mall in the Kenyan capital Nairobi were speaking in a foreign language and were seen executing a number of shoppers, an eyewitness says.
“They were not speaking Swahili. They spoke something that seemed like Arabic or Somali, but I’m not sure as I don’t speak those languages,” the witness, who only wanted to give his first name, Jay, said after fleeing the mall.
“I saw people being executed after being asked to say something,” he said, adding he had seen 11 dead bodies inside the mall.
Masked gunmen stormed the upmarket mall on Saturday and sprayed gunfire on shoppers and staff, killing at least six, before holing themselves up in the complex with hostages.
Police were going shop-to-shop to evacuate terrified people from the Westgate, which is popular with wealthy Kenyans and expatriates and generally packed on weekends.
The attackers sprayed gunfire inside the four-storey mall, causing a huge panic before police units moved in to secure the compound’s exits and the situation evolved into a standoff.
“They have seven hostages, confirmed,” a police officer said at the scene as security forces were trying to secure a multi-screen cinema complex.
A reporter saw at least 20 people rescued from a toy shop on one of the upper floors of the mall.
Dozens of wounded, some of them bleeding children, were stretchered away from the mall.
A shop manager who managed to escape said at one point “it seemed that the shooters had taken control of all the mall”.
Shocked people could be seen running away from the Westgate centre clutching children while others crawled along walls to avoid stray bullets.
“The gunmen tried to fire at my head but missed. At least 50 people were shot. There are definitely many casualties,” mall employee Sudjar Singh said.
“I saw a young boy carried out on a shopping cart, it looked like he was about 5 or 6. It looked like he was gone, he was not moving or making any noise.”
Vehicles riddled with bullet holes were left abandoned in front of the mall as police instructed residents of the Westlands neighbourhood to stay away.
“Our officers are on the ground carrying out an evacuation of those inside as they search for the attackers who are said to be inside,” Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo said.
“We have managed to evacuate some people to safety. We urge Kenyans to avoid the area as we pursue the thugs,” Kenya’s interior ministry said on Twitter.
The Westgate mall, which opened in 2007, has restaurants, cafes, banks, a large supermarket and a cinema that attract thousands of people every day and have made it a Nairobi landmark.
It is popular with the large expatriate community living in the residential neighbourhoods around it, including with foreign staff from the United Nations, which has its third largest global centre nearby.
It just keeps on going!!
Thirteen people, including a toddler, have been wounded in an overnight gang shooting in Chicago, police say.
Among the victims is a three-year-old child who is in critical condition after being shot in the ear when gunfire erupted around 10.15pm on Thursday (1300 AEST Friday) at a park on Chicago’s south side, police say.
No one has been reported killed and no one had been arrested as of early Friday.
“We believe that the motive for the shooting was gang-related,” said Ron Gaines, a spokesman with the Chicago Police Department.
“At this point, detectives are out questioning witnesses trying to find out what happened,” he said.
Officials said the wounded were transported by ambulance to area hospitals.
Many of the victims – most of them in their teens, 20s and 30s – had bullet wounds to their arms, legs or feet.
One 24-year-old man was shot twice in the abdomen and was in serious condition, police said.
A witness, Julian Harris, told the Chicago Sun-Times that dreadlocked men fired at him from a grey sedan before turning toward Cornell Square Park and firing at people in the area. He said his three-year-old nephew was wounded.
“They hit the light pole next to me, but I ducked down and ran into the house,” he said. “They’ve been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night, just gang-banging stuff. It’s what they do.”
Francis John, 70, said she was in her apartment when the shooting occurred. She said went down to see what was going on and “a lot of youngsters were running scared”.
She said she was surprised by what had happened, saying she has lived in the neighbourhood for 30 years.
She told the Sun-Times there hasn’t been much gun violence in the neighbourhood in recent years, adding the neighbourhood went from good to bad 10 years ago, to better recently.
The shooting comes nearly three weeks after Chicago saw an outburst of violence over the Labor Day weekend that ended with eight dead and 20 others injured.
The city’s police department has responded to shootings that have grabbed national headlines by stepping up its crime-fighting efforts, paying overtime to add patrols to some neighbourhoods, including the Back of the Yards, where Thursday’s shooting took place.
US President Obama returned to his adopted home town earlier this year to appeal for an end to the “senseless” gun violence ravaging Chicago as he pressed for ambitious gun control measures, which so far have been stalled in the US congress.
Graham Redfearn is banned from owning animals after police found footage of him having sex with 2 dogs and a horse.
They arrested him for burglary, but then things got wild.
Back in April, British police picked up Graham Redfearn, 41, on suspicion of burglary. When officers searched his home, they found pornographic videos of the 41-year-old having sex with a mare, and other footage of him having sex with two dogs.
Redfearn told officers that he was “experimenting” and that he’d “just lay on the bed [and] the dog did the rest,” according to the Metro.
According to the Shropshire Star, police believe that Redfearn intended to share his videos with others. He “admitted to two charges of sexual activity with a horse and dogs and two charges of possessing extreme pornographic images,” the newspaper reported.
In court Sept. 12, Redfearn was banned from owning animals and was “given a 10-year sexual offences prevention order.”
Redfearn had also posted Facebook statuses that said he was looking to work with horses and had experience with “stud work.”
In Shrewsbury crown court, Redfearn said he had been abused and raped by a German Shepherd when he was 12 years old.
Although the video showed him having sex with the horse, Redfearn avoided jail time because no evidence could be found that the animal was distressed.
This isn’t the first British bestiality case to be heard this year. In August, a Wiltshire man was banned from all farms in the United Kingdom after he admitted to having sex with a goat. Earlier this week, he was sentenced to six weeks in jail.
- Graham Redfearn – Anglesey/Wem (ukpaedos-exposed.com)
- Guy Makes A Sex Tape With 2 Dogs And A Horse. Avoids Jail Because The Horse Was Satisfied. (cptcruiser.wordpress.com)
- Pervert who filmed sex romps with horse called Ambrose given lifetime animal ban (metro.co.uk)
Nine men accused of repeatedly raping a 14-year-old girl walked free from court after messages she posted on Twitter torpedoed the case against them.
The defendants heard the prosecution was being halted after the posts came to light just as the case was due to start.
The nine, some of who have been held in custody awaiting trial, were told the tweets meant there was ‘no longer a realistic prospect of conviction’.
It was not revealed what was in the archived messages ‘which were not publicly available’ and were overlooked because of confusion over the name of the account.
Judge John Bevan said: ‘It’s unfortunate this happened so late; it’s unfortunate some defendants have been in custody. But these are very serious matters and these have to be gone into.’
The men, aged between 21 and 30, were arrested on the back of a four-month police investigation and charged with 28 offences, including several rapes.
The attacks were said to have taken place at houses in London’s East End or in the back of cars.
Although the complainant, now 15, told prosecutors about her tweets, the Old Bailey was told they only ‘came to light through a side-wind’.
The Crown Prosecution Service said: ‘This new material concerned archived Twitter messages which were not previously known about and which undermined the prosecution case.
‘It was decided following this review that there was no longer sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in this case.’
The men, who were arrested in a series of dawn raids in London in March, remained silent as Judge Bevan formally recorded not guilty verdicts.
As he left the courtroom, one defendant, Olanrewaju Sonde, 24, said: ‘It’s just a relief that this is finally over.’
- Nine men cleared of sex offences against teenager after new evidence comes to light on Twitter (london24.com)
- Rape charges dropped after alleged victim’s Twitter feed casts doubt on case (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- Trial collapses against nine men accused of rape after police discover new evidence on old Twitter account from when she was 14 (thisismoney.co.uk)
I have to wonder why people have to go to this extreme to get health care in the U.S. It would appear there are serious problems that need to be addressed there.
The more I hear about obtaining medical help in America the more I realize I live in an extremely lucky country. A country where I can access medical treatment whenever I need it, and for free.
Yes we have medical insurance here as well, but should you be unable to afford it free treatment is available, without having to go to Jail. I was stunned when I came across the following story.
Epic fail or strange success? When it comes to a recent alleged bank robbery, it all depends on whom you ask.
Clackamas County sheriff’s deputies might be more inclined to classify Timothy Dean Alsip’s alleged robbery attempt last Friday a failure. Alsip’s arrest at a Bank of America branch outside Portland, Ore, was especially easy because the suspect remained at the scene of the crime, according to CBS Seattle.
Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Deputy Mark Nikolai described the strange chain of events, beginning a little after 10 a.m. on Aug. 23.
“Timothy Alsip handed over a note saying, ‘This is a hold up. Give me a dollar,'”
Then rather than flee with his ill-gotten one dollar bill, took a seat in the lobby and quietly waited for police to arrest him.
Originally charged with both second-degree robbery and third-degree theft, Alsip saw his robbery charge dismissed, according to the Sheriff’s Office website. Alsip remains in jail, having failed to pay a $40,000 bail on the theft charge.
Alsip told officers he had “robbed” the bank in order to receive medical care in jail. Although he had no previous criminal record, Alsip had apparently been acting strangely in the days before the robbery. The 50-year-old homeless man asked random people for help and even called 911 on himself to “complain of various imaginary problems,”
Whether or not Alsip’s health problems are legitimate or not, his plan to seek jailhouse healthcare may have been inspired by a similar robbery in North Carolina two years ago. At the time, James Verone told reporters that he asked the teller at a Gastonia, N.C., bank for $1 in an effort to get himself arrested, according to Mother Jones. The 59-year-old reportedly hoped to stay in jail just long enough to get free medical care for a host of conditions and then qualify for Social Security when he got out.
There you have it! Crazy or inspired. I guess that is up to you, but for me it is insane to think the only way to get help is go to jail.
In this country from birth you are issued a Medicare Number this allows you to get free Medical, Dental etc. Maybe our method of supplying healthcare is not for all, but medical treatment for all is something President Obama obviously needs to address.
GOVERNMENT agents in 74 countries demanded information on about 38,000 Facebook users in the first half of this year, with about half the orders coming from the United States.
The social-networking giant Facebook is the latest technology company to release figures on how often governments seek information about its customers.
As with the other companies, Microsoft and Google, it’s hard to discern much from Facebook’s data, besides the fact that, as users around the globe flocked to the world’s largest social network, police and intelligence agencies followed.
Facebook and Twitter have become organising platforms for activists and, as such, have become targets for governments.
During anti-government protests in Turkey in May and June, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called social media “the worst menace to society.”
At the time, Facebook denied it provided information about protest organisers to the Turkish government.
Data released today show authorities in Turkey submitted 96 requests covering 173 users. Facebook said it provided some information in about 45 of those cases, but there’s no information on what was turned over and why.
Colin Stretch, Facebook’s general counsel company said in a blog post.
“We fight many of these requests, pushing back when we find legal deficiencies and narrowing the scope of overly broad or vague requests, When we are required to comply with a particular request, we frequently share only basic user information, such as name.”
Facebook and other technology companies have been criticised for helping the National Security Agency secretly collect data on customers.
Federal law gives government the authority to demand data without specific warrants, and while companies can fight requests in secret court hearings, it’s an uphill battle. Facebook turned over some data in response to about 60 percent of those requests.
It’s not clear from the Facebook data how many of the roughly 26,000 government requests on 38,000 users were for law-enforcement purposes and how many were for intelligence gathering.
Technology and government officials have said criminal investigations are far more common than national security matters as a justification for demanding information from companies.
The numbers are imprecise because the federal government forbids companies from revealing how many times they’ve been ordered to turn over information about their customers. Facebook released only a range of figures for the United States and said it planned to start releasing these figures regularly.
- Facebook reveals NZ official requests (stuff.co.nz)